#212 awaiting-merge
T.J. VanSlyke

Selenium fill_in raises Selenium exception when driving Internet Explorer

Reported by T.J. VanSlyke | March 31st, 2009 @ 06:42 PM

We have a large suite of Cucumber tests driven by Webrat. Until now, we've been running them within a Firefox Selenium environment. When we attempted to run the suite through Internet Explorer, we found that several (but not all) calls to fill_in raised the following Selenium error:

      OR: Selenium failure. Please report to the Selenium Users forum at http://forums.openqa.org, with error details from the log window.  The error message is: Object doesn't support this property or method (Selenium::CommandError)
      /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:56:in `timeout'
      /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:76:in `timeout'
      (eval):2:in `fill_in'
      ./features/step_definitions/webrat_steps.rb:15:in `/^I fill in "(.*)" with "(.*)"$/'

Our interim solution was to replace the steps calling fill_in with explicit selenium.type calls. Looking at the implementation of SeleniumSession#fill_in, I notice it is pushing the message "webrat=field_identifier" to the Selenium server. I'm unaware of what Selenium knows about Webrat, so any information toward that end might help in resolving this.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Bryan Helmkamp

    Bryan Helmkamp April 6th, 2009 @ 12:24 PM

    Hey T.J.,

    In selenium mode, Webrat registers a "webrat=" locator strategy with its logic for using label elements to find input fields. You can see their implementation in the "lib/webrat/selenium/location_strategy_javascript" directory.

    I've never ran Selenium in IE before, so it's hard to say if this is a Webrat bug, or a Selenium+IE bug.

    -Bryan

  • gaffo

    gaffo May 7th, 2009 @ 06:31 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “open”

    TJ does this help?

  • Brian Takita

    Brian Takita May 12th, 2009 @ 05:55 PM

    We have an untested fix for this.

    http://github.com/honkster/webra...

    http://github.com/honkster/webra...

    There is a good amount of logic within the Webrat Selenium matchers. We probably should unit test them using Screw Unit (or equivalent) and have Selenium integration tests in an example project.

  • gaffo

    gaffo June 15th, 2009 @ 12:46 AM

    • State changed from “open” to “awaiting-merge”

    Need to test out these patches. There has been some work done on this front lately so they may not apply cleanly.

  • wesmaldonado

    wesmaldonado September 28th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

    Does more work need to be done on this patch? I'd like to see it make it out in the next release and am willing to add tests/etc.

  • Jeroen van Dijk

    Jeroen van Dijk November 3rd, 2009 @ 09:08 AM

    I was just wondering whether it might be a good idea to use JQuery as a locator strategy instead of how they are currently defined in webrat.js. This probably solves browser compatibility issues and might be even faster. I tried to accomplish this without changing the selenium.jar by placing the jquery code in selenium_extensions.js, but for some reason I got a parse error (I guess I didn't copy-paste the jquery code properly).

    This blogpost inspired me to try it.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile »

Ruby Acceptance Testing for Web applications.

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Pages